By Aaron Isaacs, HRA editor
It’s been a busy year for completed projects. Part 2 of this 3-part post covers electric cars and passenger cars.
West Penn curved side interurban #832 was the first car to join the collection of the Pennsylvania Trolley Museum, but decades passed before it could be restored. The result is beautiful, and well deserving of the Significant Achievement Award–Electric Car it received at the HRA Fall conference.
British Columbia Electric #1304 Connaught was the last wood interurban to be rebuilt after it was largely destroyed in a 1948 fire. It has been reborn again, joining three sisters running on home rails, thanks to the Fraser Valley Railway Heritage Society.
In a class by itself is San Francisco Municipal Railway. It has been adding to the E and F Line heritage fleet with 11 ex-Newark, ex-Twin City PCCs and is now rehabbing previously restored ex-Philadelphia PCCs (pictured below). Still to come are a handful of single-and double ended original San Francisco PCCs and a pair of former Red Arrow double-ended almost PCCs.
Perhaps the least likely restoration was Piedmont & Northern interurban #2102. An unlikely survivor, it was depowered and used as an instruction car by the Seaboard Air Line. It now resides at the Greenwood Railroad Historical Center.
The Greenwood Railroad Historical Center has finished a major restoration initiative that last year included its Rockton & Rion 2-8-2 and this year Seaboard “American Flyer” lightweight coach #831 and Erie-Lackawanna dinner #746.