General Manager, Sacramento RiverTrain
The Sacramento RiverTrain preserves a piece of Northern California history while offering innovative new experiences for both our community and tourists. Trips include romantic sunset dinners, fun murder mysteries and dinner theater shows, the popular beer train, wine tasting on the Old Vine Express, western show & barbeque trip, and an extremely popular series of children-themed trips. Trips typically combine entertainment, food, drink and the nostalgia of railroads. Visit https://www.sacramentorivertrain.com/ for more information about the 200+ trips with 25,000 guests per year.
The Sacramento RiverTrain seeks an experienced General Manager to oversee this tourist passenger train. He or she will have people skills, business acumen, organizational skills, and the ability to manage a wide range of operational components.
The operation already has staff, support from a parent company, proven portfolio of trips, large customer base, a luxurious train set, and new train station being constructed along the Sacramento River. In addition, there is an opportunity for training with current manager.
The primary focus for the selected applicant is to improve the profitability of the business by crafting a plan that curbs costs, uses analytics to determine trips to feature or modify, overseeing the marketing campaign, and making strategic moves to further improve the RiverTrain. The candidate must have proven experience regarding this primary task.
- Oversee the Sacramento RiverTrain’s operations, including an Assistant General Manager and 20 to 50 train car service employees.
- Ensure safety procedures and policies are followed by employees and passengers.
- Ability to establish credibility and be decisive.
- Identify development opportunities and ability to conceptualize, design and deliver solutions.
- Develop and implement standard operating and company policies and procedures.
- Ensure that all organizational activities and operations are carried out in compliance with local, state, and federal regulations and laws governing railroad operations.
- Participate in planning meetings with supply chain and operational management.
- Participate and submit for approval, annual budgets including plans to decrease operating expenses while improving profitability.
- Assist in developing and recommending pricing strategy for the organization.
- Work effectively within a corporate structure with multiple divisions.
- Represent the company to customers, prospective customers, vendors, regulatory agents, auditors, executives, members of various associations/companies, etc. in various settings both on and off site.
- Since 90% of the trips occur during the weekend, the candidate must be comfortable working most weekends.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Minimum of 7 years’ experience managing people
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business Management, Marketing, Event Management or a related field preferred.
- Proven record of managing, planning and administering a range of business operations that include event management, budgets, contracts, facilities, public relations, marketing, and communications.
- Ability to meet budgets, timelines, and work in a high-pressure environment.
- Ability to oversee multiple projects independently.
- Strong conflict resolution skills.
- Sales skills and an aptitude for building productive business relationships.
- Superior management skills with the ability to influence and engage direct and indirect reports and peers through interpersonal communication that includes verbal and written, active listening, critical thinking, persuasiveness, advising and counseling skills.
- Experience with the hospitality industry is a necessity
- Experience with tourist railroads is very beneficial but not a requirement.
PERSONAL SKILLS & ATTRIBUTES
- Positive Attitude and Energy — Exhibits an upbeat attitude, a genuine interest in others and a sense of humor. Energizes others and heightens morale through her/his attitude.
- Communication Skills — Possesses the ability to develop and articulate ideas and information that generate understanding and creates a climate that motivates and encourages others to participate.
- Innovator — Transforms creative ideas into original solutions that positively impact the company’s performance.
- Highly Principled — Proves to be a professional of unquestionable integrity, credibility and character who demonstrates high moral and ethical behavior.